Tuesday 27 February 2007

Thursday Thirteen - How to train your human slave

As an egotistical and demanding Siamese Prince, I consider myself an expert on all matters relating to training your human slave. My methods have been tried and tested by myself with real success, and I feel I should impart this knowledge to my fellow cat friends. Should you choose to commence this training program, I will be available for advice and reassurance on a daily basis. Don't give up - it will be worth it in the end.

How to train your human slave

1. Make them believe that you love them. Use affection, purrs, big sad eyes, plodding etc. This is the first and most crucial step in ensnaring your slave- use it wisely and never to excess. If you master this, the rest of the training will become simple.

2. Do something the human’s think is clever and/or cute. Good examples include: choosing a toy and dropping it at their feet, climbing the curtains, watching and chasing objects on the television, playing with your siblings. Choose your moment wisely – all of these actions need to be completed at a time when the humans will notice i.e. when they are sat in the living room.

3. Make the slaves feel guilty. If they haven’t refreshed your water, begin to drink from the washing up bowl or, better still, lick the bath suds. If your food bowl is empty, begin to chew on your sibling or on your toys. Do not stop until they have provided ample refreshment.

4. Never assume that the slaves understand you. Speak S-L-O-W-L-Y and L-O-U-D-L-Y to get your point across. The louder the YOWWWL the better, although occasionally a small yet shrill howl can be just as effective. Once again, choose your moment to convey your request – one of the best times is when the humans are sleeping. Approach them slowly and then HOWWWWL in their face. A guaranteed reaction. Repeat as necessary until they fulfil your demand.

5. If you are unhappy with the menu at your current accommodation, simply refuse to eat for a few days. This will send your slaves into a flurry of panic and, whilst you can anticipate at least one trip to the vet, you will eventually find the cuisine you are served is healthier, tastier and most importantly, far more expensive than usual. Do not settle for second best: fresh meat from the butchers and premium quality biscuits are what any royal cat deserves.

6. Be hospitable to any small people visiting your premises. They are what the slaves refer to as ‘children’ and if you pretend to like them, the humans will gush about how friendly and adorable a pet you are. Of course, you can give little ones the odd nip when nobody is looking, but be careful. Small humans are unpredictable and can be hostile when provoked (trust me, I know).

7. If your human approaches you for affection, ignore them. Better still, walk away or jump up to a surface area they cannot reach. If they manage to pick you up, struggle until they are forced to place you down again. This will keep your slave on his toes and will ensure that they react with unexpected delight and pleasure should you eventually approach them for cuddles.

8. If fresh meat from the butchers isn’t quite quenching your palate, steal food from the human’s plates. They usually have set meal times. Ensure you are present for each meal and proceed as directed. They will give in if you persist.

9. If your human is not cooking your dinner quickly enough, launch yourself, with all claws and all paws, at their back. I usually begin by howling and, if I am still being ignored, I jump and then climb up their backs as though they are a tree. I will climb up as far as I can before the human eventually manages to shake me off. Apparently this causes the human pain. Do not sympathise – it is an effective technique to make your dinner arrive more quickly. Other humans present will find this amusing and it will also serve as a ‘cute and clever’ thing to do, thus reinforcing the training process.

10. If you wish your litter tray to be cleaned more regularly, walk around in it and then leave poo prints all over the house. Make sure you walk all over and inside the bath, any sinks, all clean surfaces and especially any clothes scattered around.

11. If your human is annoying you, use your claws. Grab any exposed limb (I prefer arms) and wrap yourself around it. Kick with your hind legs and, if you get the chance, sink your teeth in. After two minutes, stop. Look at the human with ‘big eyes’. Begin purring and rubbing your chin against any wounds you may have inflicted. The human will become confused and believe that you have merely been playing. When they then move in for a cuddle, start the whole process again. NB: - can provide hours of amusement, especially on highly strung individuals.

12. Demand a space in your human’s bed. They usually have electric blankets and thick duvets so under the covers really is superior to your cat bed. Follow the humans and then climb under the quilt. Refuse to budge. If they manage to force you out, wait until they are asleep and then scratch their noses and bite their hair. Humans require up to 8 hours of solid sleep a night. This procedure takes only days to work as it is in your power to ensure your slave gets only 5 hours of broken sleep. After no more than a week, you will be able to claim your rightful spot under the quilt whenever you wish.

13. Remember: Persistence is the key. Your slaves will soon realise that resistance is futile and will worship your every move without hesitation.

10 comments:

LZ said...

Yao-lin- I LOVE YOU!!! You are so smart and it is really great of you to share your methods. I have to say, many of those I use myself being Siamese. I especially follow #7, its pretty much my favorite. Kaze follows a lot of those too, especially only letting them get 5 hours of sleep. She purrs to wake the up. Great list!!!

Latte & Kaze (check out my TT!)

Daisy said...

Yao-lin, those are some very, very good tips. I like to use #4 especially. When I want to go in my stroller, I go to the living room, sit by the door, and howl. The longer and louder the better. I think I will try #8 next.

The Crew said...

Very good, Yao-Lin! I agree completely.

However I do think you should send a news release to the cat blogosphereso everyone can benefit from your excellent pet training advice.

George

Skeezix the Cat said...

hehehehehe! I espeshully like yer nee-on sine abowt Mao in the left collum. My big bruther Mao wood kill me if I did sumthing like that on my blog!

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Good tips, ixsept #11 ushooaly gets us tossed into a 'time out' in the beans litter room. Not fun at all...

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Wow Yao-lin, I guess you have this down to an art! Those are all great tips. :)

I'm lucky - I didn't have to demand space in my humans' bed - they let me sleep there from the start!

Tara said...

Oh, this is great! I'm taking notes! I use a lot of them already, but reinforcement is great!
Tara

Smeagol and Strider, Mystery (Sunnin' at the Bridge) and Gizmo too! said...

Thanks for sharin' your training tips, we're gonna start usin' them right away!

Anonymous said...

My humans say that I am the stubbornest cat ever. I am and I am proud of it!

Anonymous said...

Superb read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing just a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch simply because I discovered it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch!